Fireplaces have the ability to add a certain level of coziness and homeliness that other interior features can’t add – even if it isn’t lit, a fireplace adds warmth and creates a focal point for a room. There are lots of things to consider when designing a fireplace: scale, location, style, materials, level of maintenance and the list goes on. Some people aren’t as lucky to be able to hand select a fireplace based on the above points as the previous home owners made the decision for them – but fireplaces can be redesigned easily so don’t let that deter you. Some fireplace inspiration…
A simple large white fireplace
Stone, which can be so pretty
As far as guidelines on cleaning fireplaces and chimney maintenance go, there are some things you can do yourself while other things are better left up to a trained professional. Here are some tips:
- Clean your fireplace area and its accessories regularly to eliminate bad flammable material building up
- Hire someone to clean out the chimney and the flue to remove creosote (highly flammable). The Chimney Safety Institute of America suggests that you have it inspected once a year
- Do not use an abrasive cleaner on your fireplace
- Notice a funny smell from your fireplace in the summer? Have it cleaned, it’s likely the accumulation of creosote
- Here is an article on how to hire a good chimney sweeper
- Apartment Therapy published this article about how to clean soot from your fireplace
- Good Housekeeping has some tips on how to remove ash and soot stains
- And HGTV has this comprehensive guide on fireplace maintenance and safety
I love the simplicity of this modern fireplace in an all white room.
Large scale fireplaces make quite a statement.
How wonderful is this original feature!
A gas fireplace could be the way to go if you don’t want to worry about clean up.
It’s chilly here, fireplaces are on my mind!
Image Credits: Design*Sponge (1), Country Living (2), Sarah Richardson for House to Home (3), Austin Patterson Disston Architects (4),Lonny Magazine (5), Country Homes & Interiors UK (6), and House and Home (7).